Pages

January 19, 2013

Harry Potter Weasley Family Clock



I have a few Harry Potter fans in my life - as is evident by the numerous Harry Potter craft items I've made in the past (like these Halloween costumes, this Educational Decree Sign, and this T-shirt).

So, when it came to making a few holiday gifts this year, I decided to go with the Harry Potter theme again.

In case you don't remember - the Weasley family has this wonderful clock that tells the location of each family member.  Locations include things like "mortal peril", "lost" and "quidditch" - which I think are very funny.  So, of course I thought it would be fun to make a working clock, with pictures of the gift recipients. 





You can pick up one of these unfinished wood clock faces at the craft store.  They have the hole already cut from the middle and can be used in a variety of ways.  I made another clock using this same base, which you can see here

To start, I made a paper circle the same size as my clock face, so that I could sketch out my design.

I won't say that the sketching was really easy :) 
I wanted 12 sections, to make it easy to tell time.  So, I cut myself a pie wedge of exactly 1/12 of the circle. Eventually, with trial and error, I figured out what each wedge would have to have sketched in it.  I outlined a wedge below so that you can see - all 12 wedges are exactly the same, and lined up one next to the other to make the clock even.  I also printed the words to fit, to trace later. 

To get the tracing onto the wood, rub pencil on the back of the paper, set it onto the wood, and trace over the lines.  A faint pencil mark will be left where you traced.  This is the method I use for the words too. 

I painted the shapes with acrylic paint, and then outlined with a fine point sharpie. 

The words were transferred first to the clock in pencil, using the method I described above, and then painted over with acrylic paint using a stylus (pictured below). 

Looking pretty good!

(Here is a picture of the clock parts you can buy at the craft store)

Because I was adding on the "spoon" faces, I had to chisel out the back of the wood a bit, so that the center shaft of the clock was long enough for the extra pieces....

I highly recommend gluing the clock mechanism to the wood to keep it from turning.  I used e6000/Amazing Goop sort of glue. 

Here is a rough idea of what the "spoons" looked like, with the faces on them.  I made them out of thin cardboard.

I painted the cardboard silver, printed tiny black and white pictures onto printer paper, cut the pictures to the correct oval shape, and glued them onto the "spoon" shapes.  Below is a close up. 

The nice thing about buying the clock workings from the craft store, is that you layer the hands yourself to put it together, so I was able to add the cardboard spoons first, then the screw to tighten it, then the clock hands.  The spoons still turn, without disturbing the clock hands. 

I sure love how it turned out!  Making a clock may seem intimidating, but it is REALLY easy.  You can do anything with the blank wood canvas - paint, mod podge, draw - anything that will make a unique clock for a specific person or place in your home. 

image signature

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm a total Potterhead, and this will be awesome for my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi if I send you my email address please could I have a quote for how much it would be for you to make me an exact replica of th weasley clock

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont understand how the spoons turn :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica,
      The spoons are just pieces of cardboard. There is a hole in the cardboard, and it goes over the post so that they can spin around the post freely. I put them on before I put the clock hands on to hold the cardboard down. Hope this helps!
      Lindsay

      Delete
  4. Very good , thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

    Hello, Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    We invest in all profitable projects with cryptocurrencies. I'm here to share an amazing life changing opportunity with you. its called Bitcoin / Forex trading options, Are you interested in earning a consistent income through binary/forex trade? or crypto currency trading. An investment of $100 or $200 can get you a return of $2,840 in 7 days of trading and you get to do this from the comfort of your home/work. It goes on and on The higher the investment, the higher the profits. Your investment is safe and secured and payouts assured 100%. if you wish to know more about investing in Cryptocurrency and earn daily, weekly OR Monthly in trading on bitcoin or any cryptocurrency and want a successful trade without losing Contact MRS.DOROTHY JEAN INVESTMENTS profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    categories of investment

    Cryptocurrency
    Loan Offer
    Mining Plan
    Business Finance Plan
    Binary option Trade Plan
    Forex trade Plan
    Stocks market Trade Plan
    Return on investment (ROI) Plan
    Gold and Silver Trade Plan
    Oil and Gas Trade Plan
    Diamond Trade Plan
    Agriculture Trade Plan
    Real Estate Trade Plan

    YOURS IN SERVICE
    Mrs. Dorothy Pilkenton Jean
    Financial Advisor on Bank Instruments,
    Private Banking and Client Services
    Email Address: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com
    Operation: We provide Financial Service Such As Bank Instrument
    From AA Rate Banks, Cash Loan,BG,SBLC,BOND,PPP,MTN,TRADING,FUNDING MONETIZING etc.

    ReplyDelete